Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Kitchen Nook Design Dilemma Solved!!!



Hi again!  

After a month of not updating my blog, I'm back.  

It has been a crazy few weeks...my father-in-law's unexpected passing, attending my nephew's HS graduation in Texas, my kids getting out of school for the summer, and a week long vacation to the Jersey Shore (no Snooki sightings, but I saw a lot of bump-its!)....it really has been CRAZY!  

But I'm back...and all is well again.

So, my last blog post asked you to stick around to see how my client's Kitchen Nook Design Dilemma was going turn out.  And, I am pleased to say that it turned out AWESOME!  

Take a look for yourself...

BEFORE:  
No Window Treatments--(a bit stark)



AFTER:  
Classic Inverted Box Pleated Valanced--(TA DA!!!)



BEFORE:
The window seat cushion is looking a bit beaten down after only a year of use.  The cover needs a good washing to bring it back to life.  It's hard to tell in this photo, but the fabric is sagging/pulling in all the wrong directions and needs a bit of help to pull itself back together.  



AFTER:
Window Seat Cushion has been freshly washed, has more structure because of batting that has been added around the existing foam to help keep the fabric in place, and has been anchored to the wall with cup hooks attached to the back of the cushion to keep it from moving forward and off the bench.  


Notice the original pillows add a punch of color, but we have had black buttons added to the center of them to "match" the black buttons at the top of each inverted pleat on the valances.  Subtle detail that makes all the difference.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...DETAILS make ALL the DIFFERENCE.

A closer look at the fabric we chose.  Nothing too crazy...a very simple grayish linen was the main fabric...crisp looking with a bit of texture.  Perfect.   
  

Next, we looked for a pop of color for the valances...the WOW factor that would make you look closer at the window treatment.  It was the easy choice because the main accent color in her kitchen is RED...as seen in her pendant lights above her island, in her art work, and in the window seat cushion.



Loved that the accent fabric was a bit quirky...it has a fancier "sheen" to the fabric compared to the earthy linen...and the gray in the circles matched the gray linen just right.  My client was sooooo excited with this fabric, but I was secretly even more pleased.  If you know me well, you know I have a "thing" for circles.  I don't know what it is about this simple shape, but it is my favorite and was so glad to be able to incorporate it into this design.


 

I have to mention that I attached the above photo because it is a tricky window...a bay window...a window with angles.  Angles are hard for almost everyone...but not my seamstress!  She is amazing with them, and this is one of just many reasons I respect her work. 

I love my seamstress for lots of other important reasons, as well.  

  • She is quick.  
  • She is affordable. 
  • She is personable.  
  • She will make what you think is impossible, possible. 
  • She knows how to measure correctly each time...on any project, on any curve, on any angle...and she gets it right.  
  • She figures out how much fabric you need...and NEVER makes you buy more than you need.  
  • She whips up your stuff in no time...no joke.  
  • She shows up at your house with a drill or a ladder or a steamer or her actual sewing machine...and VOILA...everything is in place...and looks just AMAZING!  
And, if by chance, something is not perfect, she will make it right...and quickly.  Thank you, again, Karen for such beautiful work.

Kitchen Nook Design Dilemma SOLVED.

Love. It.

Stay tuned for my next Design Dilemma post...BEIGE has taken over!




No comments:

Post a Comment